Saturday, September 12, 2009

Comment on The Belmont Club
"Bedtime in Chicago"


I once had the bullet proof job. I hired Chicago Cops for overtime. With my ID card I could have driven backwards on Lake Shore Drive at 70 mph if I wanted to. Once the cops offered me an untraceable gun, just as a favor, but I declined. They were shocked at first that I never used my ID and never solicited a bribe and then after they overcame their natural cynicism they warmed to me. For those who live with the Skells the most shocking thing can be to meet what they call a "Citizen." That has nothing to do with Natural Born and it has everything to do with what most Law Enforcement Officers start the job seeking and usually get burnt out or lose track of. Sometimes you see a hard bitten old street cop stopped by really young child or a little old lady asking for directions. The expression on their face is priceless. If that happened more often marriages would be saved.

So Chicago is a tough town and makes a point of being theatrically tough but if real hope for change arrived it might come as a cleansing light, like a descent into the Pit by the shining face of Truth.

Chicago can be tough and the path that leads to The Big Sleep can be seductive, even if you don't get Lauren Bacall.


-------
In the interests of fairness and to protect our brand we should sharpen Occum's Razor. Is it possible that Blago's friend had a medical condition and overdosed on a combination of aspirin and Coumadin™? Maybe he left a suicide note?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged but moderated.
Thoughtful contributions are welcome. Spam and abuse are not. This is my house.