Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Comment on The Belmont Club
"A writing exercise"


Reposted from four days ago:
Comment on The New Ledger:
"How the Fort Hood Shooter Will be Judged"


The precedent for covering the points I listed is Pericles Funeral Oration, whiskey may feel inspired by the next to last paragraph.

Here is an example of a better man responding to a tragedy.

"We don't keep secrets and cover things up. We do it all up front and in public."

On balance while I agree with wretchard in that Justice and Deeds are essential, and missing from Obama's speech, excepting the line "and see to it that he pays for his crimes," the problem with the address given was not what was said but the man behind the words. There is no emotional connection between the man and the objects of his performance. He says that service in distant deserts and snowy mountains made us all safer here at home. Everything he has said and done up to this moment demonstrates that he does not believe that and labored to convince the electorate that the service of these people overseas made us more vulnerable to attack from enemies we create by our actions.

This was quoted before, forgive me for not having time to credit the BC commentator.
From John Ford's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
John Wayne as Captain Natan Brittles
Joanne Dru as Miss Dandridge

Olivia Dandridge:
[after the massacre at Sudrow's Wells] You don't have to say it, Captain.
I know all this is because of me; because I wanted to see the West;
because I wasn't - I wasn't "Army" enough to stay the winter.

Captain Brittles:
You're not quite "Army" yet, miss... or you'd know never to apologize...
it's a sign of weakness.

Olivia Dandridge:
Yes, but this was your last patrol and I'm to blame for it.

Captain Brittles:
Only the man who commands can be blamed. It rests on me... mission failure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged but moderated.
Thoughtful contributions are welcome. Spam and abuse are not. This is my house.