Thursday, February 18, 2010

Comment on the Belmont Club:
"You mean, now?"


In every field of human endeavor this administration has proven to be the amateur hour at best. My normal bias is to assume incompetence before malice and the simplicity of sloth over the complexity of conspiracy. While it might be true that Obama really was a committed Marxist 25 years ago and that his rise has been aided by hostile foreign powers that does not in itself explain the failure of the system that should have prevented his progress and protected the Constitution and the nation. What I mean is that just blaming BHO or Soros or Putin or the Chinese is to passive. The fault is not in our stars but in ourselves. The American people failed to cherish their heritage and teach it to their children. If the average American understood what is exceptional about this country and why and the sacrifices that have been needed to gain those advantages, then the pretensions of Obama would have been laughed off the stage.

Subotai Bahadur,
One of the compensations of living in New York is the Frick Museum. When I can afford to be I am a member. When I have a moral choice to make it has been my habit to go there. In Mr Frick's old formal room there is a fireplace. On either side are portraits by Holbein. To the right is Thomas Cromwell and to the left is Thomas More. I look at these two men of power, sometimes friends and enemies, and it helps me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged but moderated.
Thoughtful contributions are welcome. Spam and abuse are not. This is my house.