Thursday, December 23, 2010

Comment on Richard Miniter's Facebook:
"For the soldiers,..."

For the soldiers,... (1)

(On W. Curtis Draper sending free cigars to troops in combat zones)

Good, I was afraid the Nanny Command had put a stop to this. My first day on a ship I stepped onto the Bridge in my crisp spotless khaki uniform and hung the binoculars around my neck. A Mustang LT, meaning he had worked his way up through the enlisted ranks, walked over to me with a big cigar between his teeth, blew smoke in my face, and said "What's the matter son? You look a little green." I lost it right there. Not an auspicious beginning. He turned out to be a nice guy though.

The really bad news was that we were still in San Diego Harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged but moderated.
Thoughtful contributions are welcome. Spam and abuse are not. This is my house.