Saturday, July 24, 2010

Comment on Boris Johnson:
"Illiteracy is bad for us ..." Telegraph Blogs

Illiteracy is bad for us – so why don't we do something about it? - Telegraph

Schools actively discourage children from learning by any but the officially approved method. Many decades ago I sat on my father's lap and followed his finger as he read Scotty Reston's column in the New York Times. In that distant age it was a well edited if Liberal paper. The teachers were appalled that I already knew how to read when I got to Kindergarten. Today no one reads and the NY Times has become an illiterate rag. Mr Reston would probably be appalled by my politics but I thank him for my literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged but moderated.
Thoughtful contributions are welcome. Spam and abuse are not. This is my house.