Friday, August 07, 2009

Comment on The Belmont Club
"Rebranding"


wretchard
The President’s views aren’t ‘nuanced’, but ‘obtuse’, which the dictionary defines as “lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect … difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression.” Obtuse in a prison we know too.

Warden Samuel Norton: I have to say that's the most amazing story
      I've ever heard. What amazes me most is that you were taken in by it.
Andy Dufresne: Sir?
Warden Samuel Norton: It's obvious this fellow Williams is impressed
      with you, he hears your tale of woe and naturally wants to cheer
      you up. He's young, not terribly bright, it's not surprising he wouldn't
      know what a state he put you in.
Andy Dufresne: Sir, he's telling the truth.
Warden Samuel Norton: Let's say for the moment this Blatch does exist.
      You think he'd just fall to his knees and cry: "Yes, I did it, I confess!
      Oh, and by the way, add a life term to my sentence."
Andy Dufresne: You know that wouldn't matter. With Tommy's testimony
      I can [get] a new trial.
Warden Samuel Norton: That's assuming Blatch is still there. Chances are
      excellent he'd be released by now.
Andy Dufresne: Well they'd have his last known address, names of
      relatives. It's a *chance*, isn't it.
[Norton shakes his head]
Andy Dufresne: How can you be so obtuse?
Warden Samuel Norton: What? What did you call me?
Andy Dufresne: Obtuse. Is it deliberate?
Warden Samuel Norton: Son, you're forgetting yourself.
Andy Dufresne: The country club will have his old time cards. Records,
      W-2s with his name on them. Sir, if I ever get out, I'd never mention
      what happens here. I'd be just as indictable as you for laundering
      that money.
[Norton slaps the table]
Warden Samuel Norton: Don't you *ever* mention money to me again,
      you sorry SON OF A BITCH! NOT IN THIS ROOM, NOT ANYWHERE.
/IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged but moderated.
Thoughtful contributions are welcome. Spam and abuse are not. This is my house.